Sunday, September 27, 2020

Quarantine diaries: day 8

 Aaaaaand we're into the second half of this "experience". I took a couple deep breaths when I realised that halfway was a wonderful milestone, but that it also meant I had to do all of the last week again. It's not been difficult, it has just required mental discipline. I suppose, I could have just veg-ed out for the whole time, but I feel like it could have made the time seem much longer, and I would have been in atrocious physical condition by the end. As it is, I'm hopeful I have lost that unnecessary 5 kilos or so, and my flexibility, while it hasn't got noticeably better, has definitely not got worse. My left calf-hammy-achilles is still not right, but that will be a task to resolve once I can test it out on a walk further than one end of my hotel room to the other. 

I've got to rearrange my morning ritual. Sitting up in bed and reading the news might be a good way to slowly come to the reality of being alive in the world, but the state of the news at the moment means it is also making me cranky, depressed and frustrated. Between the virus and the second wave spikes around the world, the state of the (non-)leadership of the government affecting my mates back in the UK, and the ongoing and escalating nonsense sounds coming out of the US, returning the world does not fill me with excitement or glee. There must be cases of people really struggling to readjust after having lived for such a while in such a bubble in quarantine. 

Very oddly, I am finding the positive affirmations and self-care slogans being recommended on my instagram account (I blame liking the yogawithadriene account) being quite helpful. The old cynic in me sees the calming fonts and background colours and reflexively wants to scoff, but in my old age (ha!) I am seeing the wisdom in some of these sayings and fripperies. Perhaps it is emotional growth, or maybe a recognition that this stuff takes effort and matters, but I read, consider and integrate now, which I'm sure my 15 year old self would be up in arms about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment